Craving something sweet, and semi-healthy to make for a dessert I stumbled across this recipe. Seeing as four of my favorite foods were in the title it was a no brainer.
I tested it out last night when some friends came over for dinner. Easy, quick and including chocolate, the bars were a huge hit. The pan lasted two days! See below for the recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
- 2.5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant or quick oats)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond milk (regular or soy milk would be fine)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (or 1 “flax” egg – see note below for vegan option)
- 2 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips ( I obviously DOUBLED the chocolate chips and used 1 cup)
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
Mix together oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add in the milk, vanilla, and egg. Mix together until evenly combined. Add mashed bananas, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips. Stir well.
Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool and cut into bars. Bars stay fresh for up to one week in a covered container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.